A website involves setup, construction and revision with their costs. These costs could depend on how much information you can provide and how much page content you expect me to provide. There will be further costs for out-of-scope work not initially agreed on.
Websites can be simple or complex. Website pages that involve graphics, information content and a simple contact form cost less than those with complex code. Websites that have layers of authorised access, databases, booking systems, shopping carts and payment by credit cards require a different level of complexity and care.
The costs associated with the initial setup stage come mainly from:
- client contact
- concept development with sketches or wireframes, layout, design and site navigation
- artwork and images
The construction stage consists of:
- content text and images
- basic search engine optimisation
The revision stage consists of:
The hourly cost is $50, including additional work carried out at your request. These charges would be for:
- Design meetings, travelling
- Additional wireframing or sketches
- Search engine registration with Google, Bing and Yahoo
- Modifications to images and the additional editing of textual content
- Searches for and the purchase of additional photographic stock images
- the re-creation of images or graphics where the original material is not suitable for website publication
- the manual entry of text from images or faxes
- further consultations, meetings, phone calls and emails
- changes to design and layout
- additional work outside the agreed scope of the project
- Registration of a domain name ($30)
- Website hosting ($100pa)
- Website maintenance
Websites have, as part of the package, maintenance for one year after the date of installation. Maintenance
includes minor revisions of text such as contact details, grammar and spelling and the fixing of any
layout issues. If you host your website with me, then minor maintenance lasts the life of the hosting.
A simple website could cost:
This estimate applies as long as you are well prepared (see the Client Checklist) and could be cheaper or more expensive depending on what is required.
Content management systems:
For refurbishing or reconstructing a website:
WordPress websites come with basic (not all) security from iThemes Security. More complex systems require a quote.
The Cost Calculator can provide an estimate of the cost of building a website.
|Domain name registration (required every two years)||30|
|Hosting (every year)||100|
|Database driven page with PHP and MySQL||150|
|Manual entry of text, photocopying, OCR, searches for stock images||50/h|
|Rework of supplied material (images, text) that is not suitable for website publication||50/h|
|Training, travelling, design and layout meetings, additional out-of-scope work||50/h|
|WordPress with client-supplied theme and basic security||200|
|WordPress with StudioPress theme||300|
|WordPress theme changes||200|
|Minor website maintenance or facelift (4 hours of work)||200|
|Major website maintenance or facelift (10 hours of work)||500|